- The wrath of God was absorbed in Jesus Christ – completely, finally, decisively. “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us – for it is written, ‘Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree’” (Galatians 3:13).
- Christ bore our sins – every sin. “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness” (1 Peter 2:24).
- Christ provided a perfect righteousness that comes to us through faith. “Not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith” (Philippians 3:9)
- Christ defeated death, through His death. “Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil” (Hebrews 2:14).
- Christ disarmed Satan. “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them” (Colossians 2:15).
- Christ purchased our sure access to God. “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God” (1 Peter 3:18).
Adapted from a message John Piper preached on “Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ.”