1. A book can preach when the author may not. In days past, men were locked up and were not allowed to preach, so many wrote.
2. A book can preach when the author cannot, that is, when he is physically unable or geographic distance prohibits it.
3. A book can preach when the author is not. Many authors, though dead, still speak today.
4. A book never flinches from the truth.
5. A book is never tempted to compromise.
6. A book never gets tired or disheartened.
7. A book never loses its temper in an argument.
8. A book gets inside the home and stays there.
9. A book always catches a man in the right mood, or he would not pick it up.
10. A book always sticks to what it has to say, that is, it cannot lead into side issues, or irrelevant conversation.
By Ernest C. Reisinger (1919-2004)